Foodies! We are back again with another delicacy and this time it is Kulfi. I do not know one person, at least in my home state, who doesn’t love Kulfi. So, I had to try it out with the simplest of ingredients. And I was totally impressed because it tasted sumptuous. This melt-in-mouth dessert can be made with a quick recipe and I bet you won’t have to queue yourself outside Grocery Stores to buy anything for it.
Kulfi is an Indian dessert similar to an ice-cream but creamier and thicker. It is served in many flavors and variants and my personal favorite is Matka Kulfi. This thickened milk dessert served in an Earthen pot is delicious and makes you fall in love with it.
- Milk – 500 ml or approximately 3 cups
- Milk Powder or Dry Milk – 4 spoons (regular spoon)
- Sugar – To Taste
- Kesar/ Saffron strands or A pinch of Turmeric Powder (depends on availability)
- Cardamom (Elaichi) – 3 to 4
- Malai – 3-4 regular spoons
- Chopped Dry Fruits – 2 regular spoons (Mix them)
For Serving :
- Kulhads/ Matka/ Paper Cups/ Serving glass (Earthen or Artificial) – 5
- Foil Paper – 5 small pieces
- Rubber Band – 5
- Heat the milk in a saucepan and bring it to boil. Let it simmer for 5 minutes at least.
- Now, add Milk Powder. The milk starts to thicken and gets creamier.
- Add sugar and completely dissolve it in the milk. (I used one small bowl of sugar as I like it sweet. You can add it according to your taste buds)
- At this stage, add kesar or turmeric powder and Malai. Let them mix with the milk for a while.
- Put in your Chopped Dry Fruits (You can keep some for topping). Cook the mixture for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let the Kulfi come to room temperature.
- Transfer the mixture in a mixer jar and Churn it for 2 minutes or until it turns into a thick batter-like consistency.
- Now, take your Kulhads or Paper cups or whatever serving option is available with you. Pour the mixture equally in 5 servings. (I used Matkas and Kulhads)
- Top it with Chopped Dry Fruits.
- Now, cover the bowl or Kulhads with foil paper and secure them with rubber bands.
- Refrigerate it for 6 hours or until it is chilled completely. You won’t see a layer of ice haze on the top.
- Serve them Chilled.
And there you go. Your savory is ready to devour on after a filling dinner. Let your mothers see that you can cook sumptuous savories. Mothers day being near, make your Moms try this dessert and show her how much you love her.
Stay tuned with us on “The Taste Palate” for more simple and delicious recipes.
Download the DU Express android application today and stay updated with all the admission updates and college news 24×7 on your smartphone. Click here to download the app | IOS app launching next month.