“One of the first conditions of happiness is that the link between man and nature shall not be broken.” – Leo Tolstoy
For mankind, there cannot be existence away from nature. However, we as individuals fail to understand this inseparable bond between mankind and nature and continue to disturb the natural order for acquisitive motives. In a bid to raise awareness, promote conservation and encourage sustainability, the World Nature Conservation Day (WNCD) is observed internationally every year on July 28.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
Nature is nothing but an incredible wonder that fosters our very existence. Nature conservation has made its way to the list of priorities for a lot of countries, but in 2020 having witnessed it all, it is more important than ever before to assume responsibility for a healthy and sustainable society and make the world a better place.
HOW CAN I MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
- Make use of the time and take to home-gardening as a hobby.
- Discourage the wastage of food, water and other essential items of daily use.
- Cut down the consumption of air conditioners.
- Practice composting, it can go a long way in developing a self-sufficient and sustainable life.
- Avoid excessive use of paper.
- Practice ‘best out of waste’ and recycled crafts.
- Spread awareness among your friends and family and post on social media by using the hashtag #WorldNatureConservationDay’20.
On this day, let us all make a conscious effort to contribute to the local, national, and global efforts in conserving nature and the innumerable benefits they provide for the present and future generations. Here’s wishing you all Happy World Nature Conservation Day!